Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Ta Da!

I'm a day late and a dollar short, but that's usually how I operate. When my mom was pregnant with me, her due date was the end of April--my birthday is May 6! So I blame all my lateness on her (isn't that what mothers are for?). It's Trash to Treasure Tuesday at Reinvented. After you check out my new treasure, head over there for some awesome ideas and inspiration!

Here it is, boys and girls, the day you've all been waiting for...my desk turned vanity is ready and in its new home. I am loving the black paint. Always admired black furniture, but never owned any. Now I do!! And I am thrilled! What does that say about my life? Anyway....here ya go. Please keep in mind that I am a newbie at all this and I definitely am not a photographer (though I would like to be).

Lest we forget, here are the befores:


And here's the gorgeous after:

Oops, ignore the Windex bottle

To be honest, it still looks too much like a desk to me. Eventually, I want to change out the hardware. And I realize the mirror is too high, but that's where the nail was. I'll fix it when I paint. I have a little revamped vanity stool, but I'd like to get a slipper chair.


I was hoping the long drawer would hold my makeup mirror--which is not aesthetically pleasing by any stretch of the imagination. But alas the mirror is too wide. I think I'll keep it in the closet which is to the left (until I get tired of carting it back and forth).


The silver in the mirror is going, but I still love it. The picture below shows the carving at the top of the arch. Love it! (How many times have I used the word love in this post? Don't answer that!)


I have a great lamp for the vanity, but need to shop the house for other accessories to pretty it up. Any suggestions from all you creative minds out there?

8 comments:

DKG aka Scrappy Doo said...

It turned out great!
Scrappy

Tiffany said...

I think you are off to a beautiful start. All you need are some pretty, girly accessories to make it look more like a vanity. A bowl of jewelry, pretty perfume bottles, maybe your lotions out on a nice platter. I think a vanity mirror would actually make it look more like a vanity. Could you paint it or something to make it look prettier?

Now, aren't you glad you asked for advise, lol?

Thank you for coming by my blog!

6L's said...

turned out great! i also love black furniture and we have several pieces! i think changing the hardware is a good idea. good job!

lagirl/Sweet Tea said...

I'm baa-ack!

You did a FAN-TAS-TIC job as my Guest Blogger, course I knew you would. And, what a trouper you are to eat a fly & dodge ninja birds just so you'd have some good things to Post about! LOL

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

BTW, I "kicked your butt"???
Egads!!
Please send me an email and remind me just how I did that. I should probably be embarassed but don't have the good sense to because I really don't remember.

Beverly said...

Beverly, I love this piece, and I love it done in black. (See, I am saying love, too.)

I did have a thought pop into my brain when you said you were going use this as a vanity. And, it is a shock that something actually popped into my brain. ;-)

Anyway, I got a visual of a gathered fabric skirt along the open side and open back. You know, like old vanities used to have skirts?! Maybe you could but a very small tension rod on both the side and back, and run a piece of pretty fabric gathered on it. Maybe like some black and white toile or something that would match your decor.

Thanks for sharing this grat piece, and please show us another picture when you have it all accessorized. And, by the way, I love slipper chairs, too.

Beverly said...

Gosh, could I have made any more typos in that comment? Ugh!

And, my idea is to put the rods on the inside.

Have I confused you enough? ;-)

Eric and Rozanne said...

Looks great! I love seeing the end result of the things you find yard saling...keep posting them. It gives those of us who are less creative ideas. :)

Unknown said...

Your "new" vanity is beautiful! I would use some pretty dishes and bottles to display your "necessities", and maybe a basket or wooden box for a little texture. Thanks for linking up!
Kimm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...