Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Happy Birthday, Lauren!

I have spent the better part of an hour trying to figure out how to scan some old photos for this post.  We have a new four in one and I cannot master it--no matter how hard I try.  So you'll have to settle for my ramblings.

Twenty-seven years ago today, I gave birth to my last baby.  She was my fourth child in a little over five years.  I'll have to admit that pregnancy was not my favorite. ;-)  I felt betrayed by my body--it got pregnant every time I turned around!  My oldest child turned five on September 2, next oldest was only 34 months old, and the third was 15 months old!  I myself was only 24!  But I have to tell ya, this last baby was mine.  Know what I mean?  The first three were my husband's--Daddy's girls and Daddy's boy.  But this last one?  Mine.  If she was hurt, upset, scared, she wanted me.  No matter who held her or for how long, she cried till I took her.  Once she was in my arms, she was fine.  Considering how nuts I was while pregnant with her, she should be The Omen!  But she's far from it.

I found a wonderful card from Hallmark.  It says what I'm not articulate enough to say.


When you were younger,
I don't think I understood
how great it would be one day
to talk with you as friends,
not just as mother and daughter.
Of course, don't get me wrong--
the parent part is important 
and always has been.
Having a daughter like you
fills me with happiness
and makes me prouder
than I ever thought I could be.
But who would have guessed 
how vital the friend part
would become
or how wonderful it would feel.
I love you,
my daughter,
my friend.


I've shared several videos this year and today is no exception.  When Lauren was about 10 or 11, we were driving in the car and this song came on the radio.  Both of us were singing at the top of our lungs, complete with wide open mouths and exaggerated facial expressions.  We were being silly and having a wonderful time--until we looked up and noticed the school bus in front of us full of kids watching and staring.  We cracked up and still do whenever we hear this song!





2 comments:

Lauren said...

Thanks Mom! I'm glad we're such good friends too. Love you!

6L's said...

so sweet and funny! i'm jealous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...