Google+ Followers

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Deja Vu Sort Of

When the LSU and Alabama game went into overtime last night, I knew I was done without anyone sticking a fork in me.  I snuck off to bed so I wouldn't ruin anyone else's good time.  Guess I slept pretty good, because I woke up about 3am in the same position I was in when I fell asleep.  Even so, I still didn't want to get up this morning.  I'll be honest, getting ready for church seemed like a monumental task.  Sometimes, it's a good thing I have a grandson in the house to help make me do what's right.

We got to church to find we were only having sacrament (the worship service).  There was no water in the building due to a leak.  I'll admit to a little aggravation since I hadn't wanted to get up in the first place.  I went into the chapel and sat down.  Between the hymns and the testimonies, my heart became very full.  Then a strange thing happened.

I felt compelled to look behind me.  When I did, I noticed a young woman having a seizure.  It was very quiet and her family seemed to have things under control.  They are a private family, so I wasn't sure what to do.  I kept still.  After looking back a couple more times, I finally told Darrell what was happening.  He immediately got up and went back to see what he could do to help.  That's one of the things I love most about him.  He doesn't wait to be asked for help.  He doesn't worry about how he'll be received or if he'll be in the way.  He just does what needs to be done.

After Darrell and some others came to help, the mother left the chapel.  I went after her.  I've been in her shoes.  Watching your child have a seizure is such a helpless feeling.  There's nothing you can do.  If they're bleeding or choking, there are measures you can take.  But with seizures, about all you can do is wait for it to be over.  I caught up with the mom and she told me she knew if she could get her daughter home, everything would be okay.   An ambulance had been called, but the family chose not to transport her to the hospital.   And the mom was right.  Once she was home, she was better.

During all this, I just wanted to throw up.   Exactly the feeling I would have when Shana would have a seizure.  And the same feeling I had for days after she died.  I lost 10 lbs in a week, because I just couldn't even think about food.

I'm so thankful I was at church today.  I don't know if I helped the situation or not, but that mother knows that I understand what she was feeling and going through.   I hope that helped her cope somewhat.  I know it helped me.


Mary said...

You were there for a reason!

Connie said...

I think you did absolutely the right thing by comforting the mom. Others handled the daughter but no one knew that mama's heart like you did. Good for you.

6L's said...

i know that you were meant to be there! i spoke to joann this evening to check in and she told me you brought lunch and how thankful she was for your kindness. bless you for being a dear heart!

Kathy ... better known as Nana said...

How awesome that you were there to comfort the mom ... you know how much a mama's heart needs to be comforted and did just you were there to do. {{hug}}

Joyce said...

It is always comforting to know someone understands...glad you were that person yesterday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...