Friday, December 26, 2008

I'm a Scrooge

I've been sitting here wondering why Christmas is always such a letdown. It was wonderful when I was a kid, but being on the grownup end is not nearly as much fun. There are so many things to do ahead of time: cooking, cleaning, planning, shopping, wrapping, going to visit Santa, etc, etc. There's such a build-up. Then it's all over in a matter of minutes. Wrapping paper, bows, bags, boxes strewn everywhere. Kids asking if that's all there is. Like they didn't just open a dozen gifts. Then there're the family members--the extended ones you don't see very often, but that's still too much. I think I'm gonna take an idea from some friends and go on a cruise next year.

Now for a bright spot. Darrell sells products to a guy in Murfreesboro, who also runs a small church. He collects toys all year long and distributes them to poor children at Christmas time. Darrell has donated money each year to help him out. This year over 500 children were made happier by the toys they received. That's what Christmas is all about. Helping others and making them happy. Not just wondering what's in it for me.

Off my soapbox now. Sorry. I just haven't felt the yuletide spirit this year and from what I've read, I'm not alone. Happier thoughts tomorrow.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...