Sunday, November 9, 2008

And today....

I am thankful for my calling as Gospel Doctrine teacher. I've been doing this for about a year and a half and while others may not have learned much, I certainly have. I've been a member of the church since June 1976 and served in many callings (Primary teacher, Relief Society teacher, secretary, and counselor, visiting teacher coordinator, librarian, Young Women's president and advisor, Stake Young Women's secretary, Sunday School teacher). The callings I always said I would never want are the two I've enjoyed most and learned the most from. Young Women's president and Gospel Doctrine teacher.

About this time two years ago, I was praying for a closer relationship with my Heavenly Father. My desire was for a greater understanding of the Atonement and how it applied personally to me and my life. When I was asked to teach Gospel Doctrine, I laughed out loud. How could I teach these people anything--they were so far above me. Then I found out the subject matter for the year was the New Testament. What better way to grow closer to the Lord or understand the Atonement than to have to study it and teach others? So I accepted the calling and have never regretted it. This year we have studied the Book of Mormon and next year will be church history. While I don't know how much longer I'll be teaching, I want to make the most of this opportunity and learn all I can.

And from now on I won't be a member of the "hall class". I'll be in Sunday School where I belong and will have studied the lesson and will aid the teacher by participating whenever I can. Hint, hint ;-)

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I can't wait until the kids are bigger and I will no longer have to ever be a member of that hall class. I'm glad you like your calling. You are a good teacher!

6L's said...

you do such a good job! i'm ashamed to say, i'm a hall grazer half the time...usually doing rs stuff. i have to laugh at the hint, hint b/c i am terrible at participating...afraid i'll say something wrong. i love reading your blog..we have alot in common!

liz said...

Teaching comes to you so naturally-fits you like a glove! I so enjoy your class- not just for what I learn but just watching you go through your paces-it is pure joy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...