Monday, August 15, 2011

Day 12


Day 13 → A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough days. (write a letter.)

Dear Gary, Jay, and Joe Don (aka Rascal Flatts),

Thank you so much for your music.  I can't tell you how many times one of your songs has helped me through the day.  You see, my daughter Shana loved your music, too.  From the very beginning, she was one of your biggest fans.  She bought all your CDs and played them continually.  Her favorites included 'Skin', 'I'm Moving On', and 'These Days'.  She and I attended Fan Fair in Nashville in 2005 and meeting Gary at the archery contest was her favorite moment!  We both got Gary's autograph and had our picture taken with him.  The smile on her face was priceless. 

Then, in April 2006, Shana passed away unexpectedly.   The funeral home asked us to provide some pictures of Shana along with suggestions for background music, so they could put together a CD to play during the visitation.  One of our easiest decisions was choosing 'I'm Moving On' for that CD.  She loved that song and it fit the situation perfectly.  It had always reminded me of her from the start.

Not long after, I heard 'Stand' for the first time.  Though it makes me cry every time, it gives me such peace and comfort.  I indeed felt like a candle in a hurricane--and especially a broken frame.  I thought I had lost my fight, but I kept holding on and tasted what I was made of.  I was weak for a long time, but I'm getting stronger every day.  Thank you for helping me do that.

Now I am living far away from one of my beloved granddaughters.  She is 10 and living with her father and stepmother.  The prospect of not being able to see her very often hurts me very much.  Then I hear 'I Won't Let Go' and think of it as our song--mine and hers.  I hope she thinks that when she hears it, too.

Please keep doing what you're doing.  It's appreciated more than you know.
 


9 comments:

Empty Nester said...

That was beautiful! They should read that letter- so meaningful! You have a heart of gold.

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

Reading your letter just makes me want to cry. My heart hurts for you. I admire you for getting through a situation that you would have given anything in the world not to have to experience. Wish I was there to give you a hug.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

That letter was beautiful. My heart aches for all that you have had to go through/are going through. {{{hug}}}}

Joyce said...

What a sweet touching post. Music speaks like no other.

6L's said...

this is such a beautiful letter! i think you really should send it to them!! it touched my heart!!

Sweet Tea said...

Did you mail that letter?
You should. I think they would like to know their music has been so important in your life.

I'm a HUGE Flatts fan too, Mayberry, God bless the Open Road, and now, Stand.

You are amazing, Beverly.
You've been through so much and inspire others now with your life experience. Thanks.

Connie said...

What a touching letter. Music is a very comforting way to get through something and it looks like Rascal Flatts has buoyed you up many times.

Shellyhectic said...

Isn't it funny that music does really sooth your soul when you need it most? Your letter was so touching, I wish there was a way for Rascal Flats to see it. Sending you positive thoughts :)

Mary said...

Rascal Flatts certainly has a soundtrack of our lives, don't they?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...