Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hodgepodge


 Seems forever since I did the Hodgepodge!  Been having withdrawals--for reals!

1. Do you think the world became a more dangerous place on September 11, 2001 or did we just become more aware of the danger? How has your own life changed as a result of that day?  I think we're just more aware.  My life hasn't really changed much.  We didn't travel by air a lot before that date, so the security measures adopted afterward weren't an adjustment.

2. Did you think your parents were too strict when you were growing up? How about in hindsight?   I think they were too strict.  It didn't seem they ever trusted me, so I lived up (or down) to their expectations.

3. Share one random but candid fact about yourself.  I can't swim.

4. Would your nearest and dearest describe you as simple or far too complicated?   Mega-complicated!

5. What is your favorite stadium or carnival food?  Fried dough...yum

6. Tornado, hurricane, earthquake...how many of these natural disasters have you experienced? Which event do you think would be the scariest?   All three!  There was a major earthquake in Italy just a month or so before we were stationed there in 1976.  We experienced several aftershocks.  We lived in NC when Hurricane Hugo came inland.  As a result of Hugo and a tornado earlier that spring, I am very nervous when it's windy.  I don't mind thunder or lightning, but wind scares me to death.

7. Labor Day weekend is approaching so a work related question seems appropriate. Growing up, did your parents assign you regular chores? Were you paid for doing those chores? If you're a parent do you assign chores to your own children? Why or why not?    I don't remember doing chores when I was little, but as I got older, I was expected to make my bed every day (which I still do) and do the dishes.  We didn't have a dishwasher and doing dishes meant washing, drying, and putting away.  None of this leaving them to air dry.  Once I was allowed to stay home alone during the summers, I was responsible for cleaning the house and mowing the yard.  Rarely did I have an allowance.  My kids did have chores.  There were 4 of them and only me and my husband (who worked long hours and often attended school).  I worked full time, so we all had to pitch in to get things done.

That last question was inspired by a post Mindee wrote on Monday. Everyone go say hi to Mindee-she blogs at Our Front Door and she's funny. 

8. Insert your own random thought here.   Kindergarten is a wonderful thing.  My house is semi-quiet again.

7 comments:

Tammy Enjoy Life said...

What is fried dough?

Jo-anne Blossy said...

I totally agree with you wind can be an awfully scary thing.

Sweet Tea said...

My parents were very strict too. I grew up being "fearful" and it continues to linger to some degree, even now. Still, I was very protected and loved and spared some of the awful things that others experienced. I find that I am a strict parent too, tho not nearly as strict as my parents were.

Tanna said...

My daughter is to 'blame' for my blogging adventure, love the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, and there is nothing better than grandbaby love! LOL! I noticed a few more things we have in common in your hodgepodge answers. Nice to *meet* you. So glad you stopped by so that I could find my way here. blessings ~ tanna

Joyce said...

The wind sometimes makes me nervous too. Especially since we are surrounded by a forest full of tall trees.

Enjoy the long weekend!

Anonymous said...

Cindy, one of the other Hodgepodge respondents, posted a recipe for funnel cake (fried dough). I'm definitely going to try it because I just love them at the fair. This could be trouble... ;O)

Her recipe is here: http://youneverknowwithcindy-cindy.blogspot.com/2011/09/funnel-cake-recipe.html

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

I have to admit - fried "anything" is always a good idea. I tend to avoid it because if given the choice I'd go for it every time - and then I would need a whole lot more than a tummy tuck ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...