Friday, August 19, 2011

Frustration, Exhaustion, and Cheating Death

What a day!  My sweet hubby let me sleep in till 7:30!  I've been getting up at 5:15 to drive my daughter to work, but he offered to do so today and, caring wife that I am, I let him.  Once I was up, he started bugging me about going to some yard sales.  Since we'd have to take a 4-year-old with us, I wasn't too keen on the idea, but finally surrendered when someone put up a sign across the street.  I love to go to yard sales on Fridays--most people are at work, so the competition is scarce and the bargains are abundant.  Not so in this case!  I knew we were in trouble when we pulled up and no less than a dozen vehicles were parked along the road.  People everywhere.  I spotted several pretties, but this heifer of a little old lady kept walking all over me and others and snatching stuff up.  She got all kinds of goodies for $20!  Lots of glassware.  I saw which truck she was putting things in and was sorely tempted to sneak a few things out while she went back for more.  But I'm a good little girl and resisted.  I managed to spend $5:

These 4 little teacups and saucers were $1--and they are Wedgwood!  The seller said they are a replica of the Queen's china.



 Got these trays for $.75 each and the wooden candlestick for a quarter.  It'll make a great pedestal for a plate or wooden bowl.  The flag tray is in really good shape and the other isn't too bad.  Should I paint them or leave alone?  They're both going to the flea market booth.

When I go to pick my daughter up from work, I usually take 3-year-old Bubba with me.  Within 5 miles, he's sound asleep and stays that way till we get home.  That gives him enough of a nap so he stays happy, but still goes to bed at a decent hour.  Today he must have been really tired, because he stayed asleep while I brought him inside and laid him on the couch.


Lastly, my guardian angel was on duty big time this afternoon.  I blow dry my hair most days, and in these dog days of summer, it can get mighty hot in my bedroom.  I have pretty thick hair, so I set the dryer as high possible.  I have on occasion been known to try and have the window AC on while doing my hair--which usually leads to a tripped circuit.  Today I did not have the AC on and was going about my merry way, when WHAM!  Loud pop and bright spark of light and the whole room goes dark.  I called to Darrell, who patiently went and checked the circuits.  Pretty soon, everything came back on.  I turned on the hair dryer and...nothing.  So I hit the reset button.  Still...nothing.  I squatted on the floor near the outlet to make sure I hit the reset button correctly--all the time holding the dryer in my left hand.  About that time, Darrell came in and asked "where's the cord?"  I said "right here....uhhh, where IS the cord?"  Apparently, that spark I saw was the cord "exploding" off the dryer!  Glad somebody up there likes me!




8 comments:

Lee said...

WOW scary hair dryer! Glad you are ok!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Whew! So glad you're ok!

6L's said...

OH MY GOSH!!! that is freaky stuff, beverly!!! i say leave the flag tray alone and paint the pineapple.

Mimi said...

Scary stuff re the hairdryer, you had a lucky escape.
I think I would varnish the trays.
Can't believe the bargains at the yard sale, those cups were a steal!

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Wow that was scary. I am glad you are okay. You were definitely being smiled upon that day!

The trays look great as they are. I really like the flag one!

Joyce said...

Oh my gosh-that dryer story is crazy!

Eric and Rozanne said...

Weird how the cord blew right off the blow dryer. And not figuring it out right away is exactly something I would have done too! Very funny story, and I am glad you are safe.

Kim Rosema said...

Oh my stars! That would have scared me to death! Glad you're ok!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...