Google+ Followers

Friday, August 19, 2011

Frustration, Exhaustion, and Cheating Death

What a day!  My sweet hubby let me sleep in till 7:30!  I've been getting up at 5:15 to drive my daughter to work, but he offered to do so today and, caring wife that I am, I let him.  Once I was up, he started bugging me about going to some yard sales.  Since we'd have to take a 4-year-old with us, I wasn't too keen on the idea, but finally surrendered when someone put up a sign across the street.  I love to go to yard sales on Fridays--most people are at work, so the competition is scarce and the bargains are abundant.  Not so in this case!  I knew we were in trouble when we pulled up and no less than a dozen vehicles were parked along the road.  People everywhere.  I spotted several pretties, but this heifer of a little old lady kept walking all over me and others and snatching stuff up.  She got all kinds of goodies for $20!  Lots of glassware.  I saw which truck she was putting things in and was sorely tempted to sneak a few things out while she went back for more.  But I'm a good little girl and resisted.  I managed to spend $5:

These 4 little teacups and saucers were $1--and they are Wedgwood!  The seller said they are a replica of the Queen's china.



 Got these trays for $.75 each and the wooden candlestick for a quarter.  It'll make a great pedestal for a plate or wooden bowl.  The flag tray is in really good shape and the other isn't too bad.  Should I paint them or leave alone?  They're both going to the flea market booth.

When I go to pick my daughter up from work, I usually take 3-year-old Bubba with me.  Within 5 miles, he's sound asleep and stays that way till we get home.  That gives him enough of a nap so he stays happy, but still goes to bed at a decent hour.  Today he must have been really tired, because he stayed asleep while I brought him inside and laid him on the couch.


Lastly, my guardian angel was on duty big time this afternoon.  I blow dry my hair most days, and in these dog days of summer, it can get mighty hot in my bedroom.  I have pretty thick hair, so I set the dryer as high possible.  I have on occasion been known to try and have the window AC on while doing my hair--which usually leads to a tripped circuit.  Today I did not have the AC on and was going about my merry way, when WHAM!  Loud pop and bright spark of light and the whole room goes dark.  I called to Darrell, who patiently went and checked the circuits.  Pretty soon, everything came back on.  I turned on the hair dryer and...nothing.  So I hit the reset button.  Still...nothing.  I squatted on the floor near the outlet to make sure I hit the reset button correctly--all the time holding the dryer in my left hand.  About that time, Darrell came in and asked "where's the cord?"  I said "right here....uhhh, where IS the cord?"  Apparently, that spark I saw was the cord "exploding" off the dryer!  Glad somebody up there likes me!




8 comments:

Lee said...

WOW scary hair dryer! Glad you are ok!

Kathy ... better known as Nana said...

Whew! So glad you're ok!

6L's said...

OH MY GOSH!!! that is freaky stuff, beverly!!! i say leave the flag tray alone and paint the pineapple.

Mimi said...

Scary stuff re the hairdryer, you had a lucky escape.
I think I would varnish the trays.
Can't believe the bargains at the yard sale, those cups were a steal!

Jo-anne *Blossy* said...

Wow that was scary. I am glad you are okay. You were definitely being smiled upon that day!

The trays look great as they are. I really like the flag one!

Joyce said...

Oh my gosh-that dryer story is crazy!

Eric and Rozanne said...

Weird how the cord blew right off the blow dryer. And not figuring it out right away is exactly something I would have done too! Very funny story, and I am glad you are safe.

Kim from Maiden D'Shade said...

Oh my stars! That would have scared me to death! Glad you're ok!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...